Initial Teacher Education
Under the literacy and numeracy strategy, the NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) will work with initial teacher education (ITE) providers to strengthen their programs and better prepare graduate teachers to teach literacy and numeracy across all levels of schooling and in all subject areas.
More resources and support material
The strategy commits to the development of specific support materials for teacher education students, including:
- sample literacy assessment tasks
- annotated and graded literacy work samples
- a description of essential literacy teaching skills
- an explicit guide to teaching phonics in K-2
- a description of essential mathematics teaching skills
- a guide to existing resources that demonstrate ways that numeracy can be addressed across the K-6 curriculum.
High standards for initial teacher education
ITE programs have been strengthened with the implementation of the following:
- entry standards based on the achievement of three NSW HSC Band 5 results, including in English
- a requirement for teacher education students to pass literacy and numeracy tests prior to their final year professional experience placement
- professional experience is now underpinned by a quality framework for school and university partnerships with requirements for information sharing and assessment standards
- specialisations within Primary ITE courses to strengthen discipline and pedagogical knowledge in key areas.
More information on NSW ITE programs can be found on the NESA website.