Student journey cheatsheet
The student journey cheatsheet reveals the key elements of the high-level and in-depth versions of the student journey.
The student journey, which will be a source of truth for new customer-focused projects and initiatives, comes in two versions:
- High-level student journey provides a broad overview of the different stages, experiences and findings from the research.
- In-depth student journey features a more detailed breakdown of the findings.
High-level student journey
The key elements of the high-level student journey include:
- Summary panel: Overview of key insights and opportunities broken into stages.
- Jobs: Journey is broken down into six stages according to the dominant progress the student is trying to make at each point along the way. These are phrased as “Help me...” terms.
- Overview: A top-line look at each stage including an explanation of the stage, key insights and how success here will help in achieving the vision. There are also key tension points, experiences and findings uncovered in the research.
- Timeline: Broken down by year of the student experience, this is be used as a reference point rather than defining stages.
- Parent and student experiences: The defining experiences at each stage.
- Key findings: The major discoveries broken down by year.
In-depth student journey
The key elements of the in-depth student journey include:
- Summary panel: An explanation of the swim lanes, and an overview of key decision-making factors in early education.
- Timeline and stages: As above.
- Parent and student experiences: More detailed versions at each stage.
- Events: The key events that take place in the student’s journey.
- Touchpoints: Platforms, initiatives and materials that students come into contact with throughout their journey via the department and third parties.
- Challenges: The events, constraints and experiences that stop students making the progress outlined in the stage.
- Opportunities: Thought starters for where the department can focus attention to improve the student experience.
Understanding the stages
The key to using the student journey effectively is to understand the stages or ‘job’ and the progress trying to be achieved. By gearing your efforts towards fulfilling these jobs, improvements to the student experience can be made on many fronts.
Want to know more?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.