Family Day Care Transition to School Digital Statement Trial
Transitions to school and between all stages of education and care are significant events for children, families, and educators, with a large body of evidence suggesting a successful transition helps improve children’s educational and social outcomes.
The department’s Transition to School Digital Statement enables information to be shared directly with a child’s school to support continuity of learning for each child.
The Department of Education is inviting eligible family day care (FDC) providers to nominate up to 5 educators to express interest to participate in a trial of the Transition to School Digital Statement to understand how it could be used in FDC settings, including aspects that work well, and areas for improvement.
Family Day Care Transition to School Digital Statement Trial approach
A Family Day Care Transition to School Digital Statement Trial will commence with eligible FDC providers and educators in September 2023.
The trial will expand Transition to School Digital Statement access to allow FDC coordinators, educational leaders and educators to use the platform to support transition to school for children attending FDC services in the year before school.
This will inform the department’s approach to broader implementation of the Transition to School Digital Statement across early childhood education and care services and schools.
Funding will not be provided for those taking part in the trial as participation is on a voluntary, unpaid basis.
The trial will consist of 5 stages:
1. Expression of Interest
Timeline: 8 – 22 September 2023
Eligible providers will be invited to nominate up to 5 of their educators to submit an expression of interest online using a Microsoft Office 365 Form.
2. Assessment process
Timeline: 25 September – 6 October 2023
The department will assess the applications and determine eligible providers and educators through a robust selection process. Providers will be notified of the outcome by 29 September 2023. Terms of Agreement will be signed and returned by 6 October 2023.
Timeline: 9 - 13 October 2023
When onboarding, FDC providers will be required to complete the Terms of Agreement and an initial survey.
The department will hold a webinar to provide FDC providers with an overview of the Transition to School Digital Statement platform. FDC providers will also participate in a collaborative workshop and/or other activities.
Timeline: 13 October
FDC providers and educators will be supported to use the Transition to School Digital Statement platform.
Timeline: December 2023
The department will gather feedback from providers, educational leaders / coordinators and educators and then analysing data to inform future enhancements.
Each of these stages is outlined in more detail below.
Eligible FDC providers that would like to be considered to participate in the Transition to School Digital Statement Trial can nominate up to 5 educators to submit an expression of interest via a Microsoft 365 form from 8 September 2023. Completion of the expression of interest will take up to 10 minutes.
Technical support is available for FDC providers and educators to assist with completing an expression of interest. For assistance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
From 22 September 2023, the department will assess expressions of interest and inform providers of outcomes by 3 October 2023.
The department will assess the applications and determine eligible providers and educators through a robust selection process based on the essential and desirable criteria outlined above.
Successful participants will progress to the onboarding stage based on the outcome of a comprehensive assessment process. During this stage, the department will provide further information on the Transition to School Digital Statement to support participants through the trial.
The onboarding phase will begin 3 October 2023 and run through until 13 October 2023 and will require a maximum time commitment of 2 hours.
During this phase, participants will be asked to:
- complete the Terms of Agreement and an initial survey
- participate in an online session providing overview of the Transition to School Digital Statement platform
- participate in a collaborative workshop and/or other activities.
Participants that complete the onboarding stage will then be given access to the test platform of the Transition to School Digital Statement and all accompanying resources.
Throughout the trial, the department will provide ongoing support to all participants as they explore the Transition to School Digital Statement platform and complete a Transition to School Digital Statement for all children starting school in 2024.
After trialling the Transition to School Digital Statement, participants will be asked to complete a survey to provide feedback on their experience. Completion of the evaluation survey will take up to 30 minutes.
Expression of Interest process
Expressions of interest for the Family Day Care Transition to School Digital Statement Trial were open until 22 September 2023.
The department will assess expressions of interest based on eligibility and program priorities.
To participate, approved providers and educators must meet the below eligibility criteria.
1. Submit an expression of interest application by 22 September 2023. Late applications will not be accepted.
2. Be an approved early childhood education and care service under the Education and Care Services National Law Act 2010 (National Law) and Education and Care Services National Regulations (Regulations).
3. Be currently rated as Meeting the National Quality Standard, or above.
4. Have preschool age children currently enrolled.
5. Deliver an early childhood education program in accordance with the requirements under the National Quality Framework.
6. A maximum of 5 eligible educators per approved provider to be submitted.
Services that meet one or more of the following criteria will be given priority in the assessment process:
- educators supporting a high proportion of multicultural preschool-aged children
- educators supporting a high proportion of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander preschool aged children
- educators supporting a high proportion of preschool-aged children with disability and additional learning and support needs
- operate in a regional, rural and/or remote location.
Conditions of participation
Approved providers and FDC educators must agree to:
- accept and comply with the published Terms of Agreement once deemed a successful applicant
- comply with regulatory requirements set out in the National Law and Regulations while participating in the trial
- ensure quality of practice and service delivery is not reduced while participating in the trial
- be willing and have the capacity to participate in a number of activities including but not limited to webinars, workshops, surveys and interviews which may include the collection and sharing of data used by the NSW Government
- complete and submit relevant forms requested by the department during the trial, including data sharing agreements, consent forms and privacy agreements prior to the commencement of the trial phase.
The department may vary or impose other terms and conditions of participation in this trial, which will be set out in an agreement to be entered into with each service.
For general enquiries, please contact us at email@example.com.