Grow Your Own
The Grow Your Own (GYO) program has been launched in the Illawarra and Wingecarribee regions to increase the number of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander early childhood educators.
About the Grow Your Own program
The program is designed to offer supported pathways into employment through a traineeship.
Traineeships are an excellent way for someone to commence an early childhood career.
During the traineeship, you will gain valuable knowledge and experience whilst working and studying alongside qualified and supportive educators to complete your Certificate III or Diploma in Early Childhood Education and Care.
Successful applicants for the Grow Your Own traineeship will receive:
- A traineeship in Certificate III and/ or Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care
- $3,000 to assist with the costs of study.
- The opportunity to work at quality services with qualified educators
- Extensive mentoring support throughout the traineeship.
- The possibility of ongoing employment with a service for an additional 1.5 years after the traineeship is complete.
There are 11 scholarships available in 2021 and successful applicants must:
- Be of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent.
- Identify as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person.
- Be accepted as such by the community in which you live or have lived.
- Provide Confirmation of Aboriginality
- Be a resident of the Illawarra or Wingecarribee regions or committed to working in those regions.
- Intend to pursue a career in early childhood education and care.
- Be genuinely committed to undertaking the practical and theoretical components of the program.
Duration of the grow your own traineeship
- Traineeships can be full-time or part-time. It is expected a full-time Certificate III traineeship will be completed in 12 to 18 months.
How to apply
To apply for a Grow Your Own traineeship package applicants will need to meet the eligibility criteria. The application process will be online, via SmartyGrants.
Applications are open now until 17 October 2021.
You will be asked to provide:
1. An expression of interest (maximum two pages) that outlines:
a) Why you are interested in a career in early childhood education and care.
b) Your commitment to engage with the practical and theoretical components of the program.
c) Nominating which of the participating services you want to work with.
2. Confirmation of Aboriginality.
3. Proof of residence in the Illawarra or Wingecarribee areas (or statement of willingness to work in these areas).
If you have questions or would like further information about the program please get in touch: GrowYourOwn@det.nsw.edu.au