Child Safe Standards
The NSW Child Safe Standards
The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse recommended 10 Child Safe Standards, drawing on its findings, research and consultation about what makes organisations child safe.
The Child Safe Standards provide a benchmark against which organisations can assess their child safe capacity and set performance targets. The Standards provide tangible guidance for organisations to drive a child safe culture, adopt strategies and act to put the interests of children first, to keep them safe from harm.
The 10 Child Safe Standards are:
- Child safety is embedded in institutional leadership, governance and culture
- Children participate in decisions affecting them and are taken seriously
- Families and communities are informed and involved
- Equity is upheld and diverse needs are taken into account
- People working with children are suitable and supported
- Processes to respond to complaints of child sexual abuse are child-focused
- Staff are equipped with the knowledge, skills and awareness to keep children safe through continual education and training
- Physical and online environments minimise the opportunity for abuse to occur
- Implementation of the Child Safe Standards is continuously reviewed and improved
- Policies and procedures document how the institution is child safe.
The Office of the Children’s Guardian is an independent statutory body that promotes the interests, safety and rights of children and young people in NSW. The core functions of the Office of the Children’s Guardian include administering Working With Children Checks, Reportable Conduct Scheme and implementation of the Child Safe Standards.
For training and resources on the Child Safe Standards, and to request training sessions, please visit the Office of the Children’s Guardian website.
For frequently asked questions and an update on the Child Safe Standards, please see the recording from the 2020 Virtual Roadshows.
Webinars and sector support tailored for different service types will continue to be delivered during 2021.
The National Principles for Child Safe Organisations then embed the Child Safe Standards recommended by the Royal Commission. The National Quality Framework (NQF) Review is currently consulting on whether these should be included under the NQF.
Download the Child Safe Standards - Key sector messages summary (PDF, 95KB) for more information on how leaders and educators can use the Child Safe Standards to improve their child safe practices.