Applications for provider and service approvals
As the Regulatory Authority in NSW, the department is responsible for assessing anyone who is seeking to own and/or operate an early childhood education service or services in NSW.
The assessment of applications ensures:
- the safety, health and wellbeing of children attending education and care services
- all approved providers and services understand their responsibilities under the relevant legislation and
- continuous improvement in the provision of quality education and care services.
Who needs to apply for approval?
The assesment and approvals process applies to all applicants wishing to seek approval to
- become a new provider,
- establish a new service, including building or purchasing a service,
- extend an existing service
or when applicants wish to:
- provide notification of an approved service transfer of ownership
- notify of changes of persons with management or control.
More information can be found on the approvals process page.
The department applies a risk assessment approach so anyone could be called to participate in the approvals process.
In certain circumstances this may mean all ersons with management or control of a service who are associated with an application will need to attend an information and assessment session.
The department's risk-based approach also includes random sampling, whereby an applicant may be selected at random to attend an information and assessment session.
The main priority is to ensure the safety, health and wellbeing of children attending education and care services in NSW.
Note regarding timing of applications
Applicants should note that under the National Law the Department has 60 days to review each application for a Provider Approval and 90 days for each service approval application.
Services and providers should consider these timeframes when planning service transfers and openings as the department is unable to adjust these timings. The review timeframes commence from the time when all information is received including the assessment if an applicant was required to complete one.
Category: October 2017,