$10M capital works funding to expand preschool places

$10M capital works funding to expand preschool places

Areas of high need will benefit under the NSW Government's $10 million Start Strong Capital Works Grants program with up to 700 new preschool places to be created.

Minister for Early Childhood Education Sarah Mitchell announced the opening of round three of the NSW Government's $10 million program, with grants to be used to fund the construction of new preschools as well as the expansion of existing services.

The Start Strong Capital Works Grants program is open to not-for-profit community preschools and mobile preschools operating in areas of the state where there is a demonstrated shortage of places. Priority will be given to applications from regional, remote, and Aboriginal communities.

"Early education is the key to future success and I am determined to ensure we make it easier for families in NSW to access these services," Mrs Mitchell said.

Eligible services can apply for funding under the following categories:

  • New centre-based preschools
  • Mobile vehicles and venues
  • Extensions of existing preschool facilities
  • Crisis situations.

The department is encouraging applications that:

  • Provide evidence of a demonstrated shortage of preschool places in their surrounding area
  • Will provide a substantial increase in 600 hour preschool places. (A substantial increase is defined as a large increase in the number of approved places per day compared to the current service capacity)
  • Demonstrate value for money in terms of the cost per preschool place created
  • Improve the provision of a culturally safe and appropriate educational setting for Aboriginal children.

Service providers that meet the eligibility criteria can apply for individual grants that demonstrate value for money in terms of cost per preschool places created.

Applications will be open for six weeks and can be submitted online from Thursday 29 June to Friday 18 August 2017 through the Smarty Grants portal.

For more information, visit the Department of Education website.



Return to top of page Back to top