Our Aboriginal Services team advises services how to engage and work with Aboriginal children and communities. Check out our programs and resources and get in touch with any questions.
Our programs and projects provide a framework of excellence which helps early childhood education services:
- engage and work with Aboriginal children, their families and communities
- offer a culturally safe learning environment where:
- Aboriginal children can prosper
- all children have the opportunity to learn the rich culture and history of First Australians.
Strategy and programs
We support Aboriginal children's learning and development with the following strategy and programs:
- First Steps – the NSW Aboriginal Children’s Early Childhood Education Strategy 2021-2025 - our strategy to ensure the best educational outcomes for Aboriginal children aged 0-5.
- Aboriginal Families as Teachers - to help Aboriginal families build a rich home learning environment.
- Ninganah No More - to increase the level of Aboriginal languages taught in early childhood education services.
- Aboriginal early childhood education scholarships - to increase the number of Aboriginal early childhood teachers.
Information for services
Supporting Aboriginal children
Need guidance on implementing the National Quality Framework? Access our resources on supporting Aboriginal children.
Engaging with Aboriginal people
Your service can connect with local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander families and communities by:
- attending local meetings to get local advice on Aboriginal education
- employing Aboriginal staff
- inviting and paying local Aboriginal community members and Elders to run workshops, do storytelling
- providing an environment that is culturally appropriate.
Making services culturally appropriate
You can make your service more culturally appropriate by considering the following:
- raising the Aboriginal flag
- using local Aboriginal language in welcome signs, room names and teaching
- displaying local Aboriginal artwork
- using Aboriginal resources
- having staff attend Aboriginal cultural awareness training
- having an understanding of Aboriginal English; bidilectical teaching strategies
- celebrating Aboriginal culture, people and history and involving the Aboriginal community and families in organising the event.
- Supporting Aboriginal children - guidance for Aboriginal services on implementing the National Quality Framework.
- SNAICC - the national non-governmental peak body for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children.
- The Dreaming Stories - an animation series and teaching resource based on Aboriginal storytelling.
- National Aborigines and Islanders Day Observance Committee (NAIDOC) - news and teaching resources related to NAIDOC week.
- Jarjums and Little J and Big Cuz - kids shows on NITV.
- The Indigenous Literacy Foundation - book industry charity dedicated to lifting literacy levels in remote Indigenous communities.
- Free books by and about Australia’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples - from the National Centre for Australian Children’s Literature.
- The Australian Literacy and Numeracy Foundation - foundation dedicated to raising language, literacy and numeracy standards in Australia.
Have a question? To get in touch with our Aboriginal Services team you can:
- email ECE.email@example.com
- call 1300 755 426.