The Start Strong Capital Works Grants Program improves access to preschool by creating additional community preschool places in areas of need and demand across the state.
The Crisis Fund supports the maintenance and creation of community preschool places where there is an urgent need for capital works in at least one of the following circumstances:
- An existing service is facing closure or relocation due to exceptional or unforeseen circumstances, for example, compulsory acquisition of premises.
- An existing service is impacted by a natural disaster or state of emergency and is required to undertake urgent structural remediation work.
- An eligible organisation wants to operate a centre-based community preschool in a remote or very remote area (as per the ARIA index) where access to preschool education is limited or non-existent.
Requests for this grant are received all year round or until funds are exhausted.
Submit an expression of interest
Expression of interest can be submitted all year round, or until funds are exhausted.
Expressions of interest are submitted online via SmartyGrants, and will be assessed progressively.
Applications will be assessed in two stages:
- Stage 1 - Expression of interest (shortlisted applicants will be invited to progress to Stage 2)
- Stage 2 – Invitation to apply
Where an expression of interest is deemed unable to proceed to Stage 2, the applicant is welcome to revise and resubmit their proposed project at any time during the funding period.
Applications for both stages must be submitted via SmartyGrants by an authorised officer.
Please read through the Fund Guidelines, Application Guide, and Frequently Asked Questions before submitting your expression of interest.
Who is eligible
To be eligible for funding applicants must:
- be registered or incorporated in NSW;
- be a not for profit organisation or association, or a local government entity; and
- operate or intend to operate a community preschool service as an Approved Provider with a valid Service Approval.
For-profit organisations cannot apply for a Crisis Fund grant.
Comprehensive information regarding eligibility and application requirements can be found in the Fund Guidelines.