Who is eligible?
To be eligible for access to assisted school travel services, a student must:
- be a permanent resident of New South Wales; and
- be assessed as having identified disability according to the Department's established Disability Criteria (May 2003); and
- be enrolled in a government or registered non-government school in New South Wales at school entry level (Kindergarten or equivalent) as a minimum; or
be accessing a special education early intervention program specifically tailored to prepare students with disability for entry into formal education one year before formal school entry into a government or registered non-government school in New South Wales; and
- be enrolled in a special school or support class specifically for students with disability; or
require high level assistance for mobility purposes (for example, use of a wheelchair or other form of mobility aid) if enrolled in a mainstream class; and
- have parents and/or carers who have demonstrated their inability to provide or arrange travel for the student to and from school either fully or in part; and
- be assessed as being unable to travel independently; and
- be enrolled in the closest appropriate government or registered non-government school to their home.
Distance and time
Students also need to meet the following criteria:
- Live less than 40 kilometres from the school.
- Maximum transport time of 90 minutes one way.
Students from overseas
Students who meet the criteria of Temporary Residents Program may be eligible.
The ASTP Program Guidelines (PDF 479 KB) provide information about the services provided. This includes details on the roles and responsibilities of parents, schools, contractors, Assisted Travel Support Officers (ATSOs) and ASTP staff in supporting the program.
Documentation to be provided
Each child that has an application forwarded for assessment needs to have supporting documentation including the Disability confirmation sheet.
In addition, if a student is applying for transport and requires support for behaviour and/or medical related issues the school will also need to provide:
- Behaviour Support Plan and/or
- Health Care Plan
How do I show I meet the criteria?
If you have a medical condition you need to provide an ASTP Medical Certificate (PDF 280 KB). This must be completed by your family's medical practitioner where you are seeking access to travel assistance for the student due to a medical condition that prevents you from transporting the student to and from school.