Getting paid on time
The NSW Department of Education is committed to paying our valued suppliers on time. We are working to ensure that you get paid in the fastest and easiest way possible
Receive fast payment with a purchasing Card (PCard)
The recommended way for you to receive payment is with a credit card called a PCard. PCard payment is the fastest and easiest way to get paid for goods or services.
PCards can be used to pay at the point of sale - either in person, on-line or over the phone. You need to provide a receipt or tax invoice (including any GST) for the goods or services to confirm payment has been received.
Follow the accounts payable purchase order process
If you can’t accept card payment, you’ll need to follow the purchase order process to issue an invoice to the department:
1. Supply the school or corporate office with a quote for the goods or services you are providing.
2. Ask for a purchase order (PO), their full name and contact number.
3. Send a correctly rendered invoice referencing the PO to:
|For supply to||use ‘Bill to’ name||Email to|
‘NSW Government Schools’ or the school name
a corporate office
‘Department of Education’
Our payment terms are generally 30 days from the time the department receives your correctly rendered invoice unless you are a registered small business and qualify for faster payment terms.
Pre-approval is required for non-PCard purchases
As a government agency we need authorisation prior to purchasing goods or services for non-PCard purchases. The Government Sector Finance Act (2018) outlines the authorisation and delegation requirements for government agency spending. Without a PO, you risk providing goods not authorised with appropriate delegation, which may lead to delays in payment.
We can only process your invoice when…
The correctly rendered invoice includes:
- a valid departmental purchase order number typed on your invoice
Note: Purchase order numbers start with a '4' and are ten digits in length. Ensure you have received a PO number as part of your authorisation to supply goods or services.
- The name of the recipient or ABN. When supplying to:
- a school, use ‘NSW Government Schools’ or the school name or ABN 18 246 198 266
- a corporate office, use ‘Department of Education’ or ABN 40 300 173 822.
Note: Do not make an invoice out to an individual or directorate.
- a Department of Education contact name
- standard ATO Tax Invoice compliant details, including your identity (business name) and ABN.
Tip: To ensure your payments are processed efficiently and within the payment terms, please send your correctly rendered invoice directly to:
- firstname.lastname@example.org when supplying to a school
- email@example.com when supplying to a corporate office.
If you are having trouble getting paid for goods or services already supplied, please contact EDConnect on 1300 32 32 32.
Getting paid on time flyer available to download
If you are in a school or corporate office, you can download and print or email the Get paid on time flyer for suppliers to provide all of the above information to your valued suppliers.