The Strategic Plan 2018-2022 sets out the department’s blueprint for the next five years.
To be Australia’s best education system and one of the finest in the world.
To prepare young people for rewarding lives as engaged citizens in a complex and dynamic society.
Children and young people are at the centre of all our decision-making. We ensure young children get the best start in life by supporting and regulating the early childhood education and care sector. We are the largest provider of public education in Australia with responsibility for delivering high-quality public education to two-thirds of the NSW student population. We respect and value Aboriginal people as Australia’s First Nation Peoples. We also work closely with the non-government school and higher education sectors.
- All children make a strong start in life and learning and make a successful transition to school.
- Every student is known, valued and cared for in our schools.
- Every student, every teacher, every leader and every school improves every year.
- Every student is engaged and challenged to continue to learn.
- All young people have a strong foundation in literacy and numeracy; deep content knowledge; and confidence in their ability to learn, adapt and be responsible citizens.
- All young people finish school well prepared for higher education, training and work.
- Education is a great place to work and our workforce is of the highest calibre.
- Our school infrastructure meets the needs of a growing population and enables future-focused learning and teaching.
- Community confidence in public education is high.
- Our education system reduces the impact of disadvantage.
- We have high expectations and we continually seek to improve ourselves and our work.
- We strive to excel and invite the best ideas from everyone in and outside the department.
- We use and share evidence, research and data to underpin policy and practice.
- We welcome collaboration and learning with others.
- We ensure that every student has access to high-quality public education.
- We respect diversity and the views and contributions of others.
- We treat people fairly.
- We take responsibility for decisions and outcomes.
- We allocate and use resources efficiently and effectively.
- We monitor and review performance to drive improvement.
- We build relationships based on transparency, honesty and mutual respect.
- We support each other.
- We respect others’ expertise, experience and points of view, and listen with an open mind.
- We act professionally with honesty and consistency.
- We communicate clear expectations.
- We are transparent with information and our decisions.
- We are flexible, innovative, responsive and reliable.
- We provide coordinated and aligned services to enhance teaching and learning.
- We work openly in partnership with parents, communities and organisations.
Our performance measures
- Increased proportion of children enrolled in an early childhood education program in the year before school (and proportion who are enrolled for 600 hours)
- Increased proportion of students reporting a sense of belonging, expectations for success and advocacy at school
- Increased proportion of students in the top two NAPLAN bands for reading and numeracy
- Increased proportion of Aboriginal students in the top two NAPLAN bands for reading and numeracy
- Increased proportion of regional and remote students in the top two NAPLAN bands for reading and numeracy
- Increased proportion of students with an HSC, Year 12 certificate or AQF certificate II and above
- Increased number of teachers accredited at the Highly Accomplished and Lead Teacher levels
- Increased number of schools with high value-add
- Improved staff engagement results in the People Matter Employee Survey
- Number of new and upgraded schools and classrooms
Download the printable PDF of the Strategic Plan 2018-2022 (PDF 111.56 KB).