The NSW Mathematics Strategy is made up of 5 key initiatives and 7 underpinning initiatives.
- Pilot a new mathematics-based HSC course for students who have not typically chosen mathematics, focused on numeracy and applications for everyday life.
- Recruit primary mathematics specialist teachers over five years.
- Award scholarships to STEM undergraduates and career changers for a Master of Teaching (Mathematics).
- Collaborate with universities to attract more students to take higher-level HSC mathematics courses.
- Grow a NSW mathematics ambassador network to positively engage students, teachers, parents and carers, and the wider community.
- Establish a mathematics growth team to lead the strengthening of mathematics teaching expertise.
- Improve initial teacher preparation of primary teachers to teach mathematics in targeted schools and networks.
- Provide high-quality, evidence-based professional learning that supports and builds the mathematics knowledge of teachers and school leaders.
- Deliver evidence-based practice to support quality teaching and develop students’ mathematical thinking.
- Develop a digital solution for teachers to access high-quality teaching resources.
- Implement communications initiatives to engage students, parents and carers, and teachers.
- Evaluate initiatives including assessing improvements in key outcomes of the strategy over time.