About the strategy
Mathematics matters. It opens up a world of learning and possibility for students.
Mathematics gives them the opportunity to develop skills in problem-solving, analysing, reasoning, justifying, collaborating, questioning, interpreting, proving, wondering and noticing.
Students learn to communicate in words, symbols, models, diagrams and in ways that are so succinct they can be applied by anyone, anywhere irrespective of the language they speak.
Through mathematics, students are empowered with the foundational skills, understanding and dispositions needed to meet the demands of the communities that they will come to lead.
Michelle Tregoning shares insights into the department’s approach to increase student participation and engagement in maths - Mathematics is beautiful
- Email email@example.com to ask questions.
- Sign up for our newsletter.
- Join the conversation on Yammer (staff only).
Explore more Maths
- Learn how we use maths every day in the Everyday Maths Hub.
- Download the NSW Mathematics Strategy 2025 (PDF 9.3 MB).