Agency information guide
Our agency guide describes the type of information that is either freely available or available on informal request. It describes other instances where formal application may be made for access and where access is excluded. It also provides links to information about how members of the public can participate in the department's functions and in the formulation of policy.
Last updated May 2017.
You can view the NSW Education Standards Authority's agency information guide for more information about NESA.
You can find out more about the functions of the department and the type of information we hold through the 'Our Services'section of the department's website.
Last updated May 2017.
Information held by the Department
- policy documents
- To comment or provide feedback on our policies please email: Email: DoEinfo@det.nsw.edu.au
- documents that are tabled in Parliament
- disclosure log
- record of information not publicly available
- contracts register
- major asset sales and purchases
- strategic planning documents
- plans reports and statistics
- Education Datahub
Information freely available
- About the department
- Department of Education organisational chart (PDF 0.22MB)
- Annual reports
- Financial statements
- Key statistics and information
- Some data held by Centre for Education Statistics and Evaluation
- Strategic plans
- Policy library
- Code of conduct
- Customer service statement
- How we handle complaints
- Privacy Code of Practice (PDF 147.28 KB)
You can also view a list of information that is or will be made freely available on the Information access webpage.
You can find out if the information you want is freely available by contacting the relevant business area via the 'contact us' webpage.
Open access data
The department's Centre for Education Statistics and Evaluation provides open access data about education in NSW. CESE analyses and evaluates educational programs and strategies and gauges New South Wales' education performance over time through its ongoing core data collections and delivery of analysis and reports.
Information about the NSW government's Open data policy is available at the following link: https://www.cese.nsw.gov.au/images/stories/PDF/NSW_DEC_Open_Data_Policy_Complete.pdf
If we haven't published the information you seek we may be able to release it to you without the need for a formal access application. We generally provide the following types of information in response to an informal request:
- copies of correspondence, sent to us by the requester
- documents that contain only personal information about the requester
- documents that have already been made public in some other way
- other reasonable requests for release of information that would not raise any potential public interest concerns.
We may impose conditions in your use or disclosure of information that is released in response to your informal request.
If the information you are looking for is not published by us or available by informal request, you may wish to make a formal access application in writing under the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009. Access applications are subject to application fees and processing charges. We will not however release information if there is an overriding public interest against its disclosure.
Information which may not be disclosed
An access application cannot be made for information specifically excluded under Schedule 2 of the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009. This includes the storage, reporting and analysis of department information relating to the ranking of students who have completed the Higher School Certificate for entrance into tertiary institutions. For more details about information that may not be disclosed, please contact the Information Access Unit.
For some categories of information, while an access application may be made there is a presumption against release. The list of categories is set out at Schedule 1 of the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009. For more details about information that may not be disclosed, please contact the Information Access Unit.
Provide feedback and comment
The department has a number of ways you can provide feedback, comment and participate in formulating the department's policies, including:
- To comment or provide feedback on our policies
- Phone: 02 9561 8999
- Email: DoEinfo@det.nsw.edu.au
- To provide feedback about our website of the department use the "Provide Feedback" button at the bottom of this page.
- Department switchboard
- Phone: 1300 679 332
- Social Media: