The movement towards decentralisation of administrative functions in the NSW Department of Education first received serious consideration in 1938, and in 1948 a pilot scheme was introduced in the Murrumbidgee area. The success of the experiment led to the establishment of other regional offices.
Below is a list of regional and sub-regional offices in NSW from 1948 onward, with details of changes of name where necessary and closing dates.
|1948||Riverina (Murrumbidgee until 1951 and South-Western until 1965)|
|1952||Hunter (Newcastle until 1976)|
Metropolitan West (Sydney (Western) until 1965)
North Coast South Coast (Southern until 1965)
Metropolitan North (North Sydney until 1985)
|1968||Metropolitan South-West (Liverpool until 1985)|
|1978||Penrith Sub-Region, Metropolitan West|
|1979||Gosford Sub-Region, Metropolitan North|
|1982||Metropolitan East (formed by the merging of Central Metropolitan and St George Regions)|
|1986||Gosford and Penrith Sub-Regions abolished|
|1989||The Schools Renewal (The Scott Report, June 1989) successfully recommended that many administrative responsibilities be devolved to the ten regional offices: Metropolitan East, Metropolitan North, Metropolitan South West, Metropolitan West, Hunter, North Coast, North West, Riverina, South Coast, and Western|
|1995||Announcement (10 August 1995) of the abolition of all regional offices to be effective by the end of 1996|
|2004||Ten school regions supported by 78 school education groups (SEGs) and ten TAFE NSW Institutes|
|2015||From 1st July 2015 school regions were replaced by 4 Operational Directorates: Macquarie Park, Tamworth, Ultimo, Wagga Wagga and 65 Principal Networks. Additionally, the NSW Department of Industry became responsible for government-funded VET, with the NSW Department of Education retaining responsibility for VETiS.|