Guide to the selection process
What happens after you apply?
Applications, submitted by the closing date, are considered by a subject matter expert. The expert may be based in a government or non-government school, TAFE college/institute, preschool, professional association or a sponsor organisation. The expert will shortlist the applications that most closely align with the criteria of the scholarship and objectives of the program. The shortlisted applications will be forwarded to the selection panel for review.
A selection panel is convened for each scholarship. The panel is made up of a minimum of five representatives from government and non-government schools, TAFE colleges/institutes and preschools according with the scholarship subject. Each panel includes a sponsor representative and a subject matter expert. Some panels include a past recipient, if appropriate. Selection panel meetings take place in June. The selection panel recommends an applicant and a reserve for the scholarship to the Premier.
Successful applicants will be informed of their successful candidacy and invited to a formal announcement by the Premier in August. Attendance at this event may include:
- the Premier of NSW
- the Minister and senior representatives from the NSW Department of Education
- the Minister and senior representatives from TAFE NSW
- the Minister and senior representatives from NSW Early Childhood Education
- senior representatives from the Catholic Education Commission and Association of Independent Schools
- senior representatives from preschools and early childhood providers
- scholarship recipients and their guests
- principals or managers of recipients
- selection panel members
- representatives of organisations which currently fund the scholarships and will potentially fund scholarships into the future; and
- representatives of professional associations.
Applicants not selected for the scholarship will be notified by email in August and may seek feedback on their application. Further information on this feedback process is provided to these applicants.
If you have an unsuccessful application, you may choose to apply in the following year.
Note: Human Resources directorate (HR) of the Department of Education administer the program on behalf of the Department of Premier and Cabinet. HR does not play a role in the selection of successful applicants.