Guide to applying
Important information about your applications
Applications for placements are submitted online. You can apply for up to three placements. Each application should be unique and address the criteria.
How does your experience address requirements for the placement?
Your responses should:
- detail your skills and experiences as it relates to the criteria of the placement;
- include any additional skills or any additional experience such as managing extra-curricular activities, acting as a teacher mentor, implementing school-wide programs; and
- outline your motivation for applying for the placement.
Tips for applying online
- Inside the application you will find more detail on the placement. To find a placement use the search filters for year, school or level. You can click on 'Apply' to preview the form and then 'Cancel' to exit.
- Applications created online must be completed in one session. You cannot save your application as a draft and return to it later. The save button will submit your application.
- The application requires you only to match your interests and skills to the placement as above.
- At the top of the application screen there is a button to Attach Files, here you may attach any documentation that supports your application.
You have read the Rural Experience Guidelines and you meet the eligibility requirements, what next?
- If you are unfamiliar with the location of placements there are extensive location resources available on teach.nsw
- When you find a placement, you can click through to the application portal for more information on the placement and the school. To find your placement use the search tool and for best results enter the school name.
- Review information provided by the principal. Think about the teaching load and any additional commitments that are a part of the placement (for example, extra-curricular activities or working across different schools). If you have questions, call the contact person.
- Consider the duration the placement. Many placements are for four terms, however the principal may be willing to negotiate a shorter duration if you indicate your preference in your application.
- Consider the accommodation options relating to the placement. Are these suitable options for you and anyone potentially relocating temporarily with you? Research your options. Teachers participating in the Rural Experience Program are responsible for arranging their own accommodation.
Questions to ask and answer
- What is the best duration of a placement for me?
- What are the positives and negatives for partner, family members, pets, community activities and teaching commitments?
- How would I manage my current home while I'm away?
- Are there locations I would prefer?
- Am I ready for an experience?
Did you know?
- Each placement has a nominated contact person for that school - you can call them directly with any questions.
- A placement may be advertised for 4 terms, but the principal may be willing to accept a teacher for a shorter duration. This should be requested in your application.
- You can apply for up to three placements
- These opportunities are short-term - there are ongoing positions available in Rural and Remote locations listed in JobFeed each week.
Talking to your current principal
All directors and principals have been asked to support the Rural Experience Program. You must have the endorsement of your current principal before you apply for a Rural Experience placement. When discussing the possibility with your principal, you might want to have the following as handy references:
- Rural Experience Guidelines; and
- a copy of the placement advertisement/s.
It’s important for your principal to know they can back-fill your position using your salary to pay a casual or temporary teacher. Rural Experience placements are initiative-funded positions. The Rural Experience Program, through Rural and Remote Education, a blueprint for action, will fund your salary and a $500 per week allowance for the duration of the placement. Your principal also needs to be available to discuss your application with the principal advertising the placement.
Do you have any questions? You can contact the Human Resources team on 02 7814 1904 or at email@example.com