The technology adopted through the Global Experience Framework is based on the principles of providing a consistent user experience and a continually evolving and supported platform for website delivery.
The corporate platform is the department's standard template website offering available to business units. The platform is powered by the department's current content management system (CMS), Squiz Matrix.
The corporate platform features:
- fully-hosted websites
- integration with the broader department web presence and information architecture
- mobile-friendly compliant templates
- compliance with government and industry accessibility standards
- central support through the digital services help desk
- continual updates with additional features and templates released over time
- automatic updates to future versions.
The front-end assets are versioned according to the Semantic Versioning (SemVer) standard.
There are two ways that front-end assets can influence the evolution of GEF:
- submit a feature request for consideration
- submit a pull request after copying, or forking, the front-end assets and developing the feature according to the GEF development standards.
The digital services help desk provides support dependent on the project.
|Web property||Support provided|
|Corporate websites||Bug fixes, continuous free upgrades to templates and functionality|
|Custom departmental websites||Bug fixes, custom templates and functionality|
As part of the NSW government's digital strategy and commitment to open data and interoperability between systems a number of web services will be developed. These public-facing web services, known as micro services, will focus on discreet functionality that can be integrated into departmental websites and web, smartphone and smartwatch apps.
A provisional list of public micro services planned for development include:
- Social profile service - feed of departmental social media profiles
- Alerts service - feed of emergency warnings issued by NSW public schools
- Services locator service - location of schools and school education offices
- News service - news aggregated from across the department's business units and schools
- Policy service - feed of department policies.
The micro services will be provided as RESTful JSON and XML APIs.
Use of the department's micro services will require registration and acceptance of an end-user licence agreement governing use.