School Item Analysis Writing Online
The School Item Analysis Writing - Online report shows how the school has performed by writing criterion and compares this to NSW government schools (DoE).
This report includes results only for the students who have participated in a NAPLAN writing test online. Paper results are reported on a separate report. This report includes the Online Writing domain only while other domains are on a separate report.
This report is available to school-based staff and network directors.
How will this report benefit me?
The report allows schools to analyse their NAPLAN performance in each criterion (also known as a rubric), and compare this to the DoE performance in the same criterion. This can pinpoint strengths and/or gaps in the school’s teaching strategy, for example the average school score may have been quite high for some criteria, indicating a strength in the teaching of that skill.
What does the report provide?
The one page report has information on:
Item List – School and DoE
- This table displays the score distribution for each criterion, e.g. "Audience".
- The score distribution for the school is compared to that of the DoE.
- Two test versions are applicable and the results are shown based on the Test Version selected. If no specific Test Version is selected (Prompt 1 or Prompt 2), scores of both the test versions are shown.
- Each criterion may have a different maximum score. All possible scores for each criterion are shown.
- The Criterion Description, Score, School %, DoE %, Syllabus ID, Syllabus Outcome, and Teaching Strategy link are shown.
Use the slicers provided to filter and further analyse the data:
- Executive Director Group
- Network Name
- School Name
- Enrolment Type Group
- Enrolment Type
- Test Version, Link to Stimulus, Genre - Students are presented with one of two possible prompts/ test versions. This slicer displays the Test Versions and the corresponding Links to the Stimulus and Genre are shown.
- Assessment Year
- Test Version
How can I use the report to support my school self-assessment?
This report can support schools to understand the effectiveness of teaching strategies at the School-Level for the Writing domain. It will assist schools with the Assessment and Reporting, Student Performance Measures, Effective Classroom Practice and Data Skills and Use elements of the SEF.
What should I look for?
- Writing criteria where there is a large difference in performance between the school and DoE. These may point to gaps in the teaching strategy for that criterion/ writing rubric.
- The latest three years of data are provided. This allows teachers to compare a student’s performance in one criterion with their performance in the previous NAPLAN assessment. Note that in 2018 only one year of data will be available and in 2019 two years of data will be available.
Where does this data come from?
How frequently is data updated?