School Item Analysis - Non-Writing
The School Item Analysis (non-Writing) shows how the school has performed by NAPLAN item (i.e. questions) and compares this to the school’s SSSG and the state.
This report includes all domains except writing, which is on a separate report.
This report is available to school-based staff and network directors.
How will this report benefit me?
The School Item Analysis (non-writing) report allows schools to analyse their NAPLAN performance in each question of the assessment, and compare this to the SSSG and State performance in the same question. This can pinpoint strengths and/or gaps in the school’s teaching strategy, for example some questions may have been answered extremely well by the school, indicating a strength in the teaching of that topic.
What does the School Item Analysis report provide?
This two page report presents a chart on the first page, and multiple tables on the second page.
Page 1 – Table and Question Details
Question List – School, SSSG and State
- This table displays each question in the selected assessment and domain.
- The description shown is not the actual question text, but the outcome expected of that question.
- The % correct for the school, SSSG and State are shown.
- The question band is shown. The band assigned to a question indicates that students who achieved at that band for their overall score and above, would have been expected to get this question right.
- Click on a single question in the table to view details for that question in the other tables.
- This table displays details for an individual question, as selected in the Question List table.
- The actual question text is shown, as well as a more detailed expected outcome, the continuum and syllabus.
- Links to the stimulus and teaching strategies are provided.
- This table displays details for the responses to the individual question selected above.
- For multiple choice questions, each potential response is shown with a flag showing which response is correct.
- For text response questions, the correct response is shown.
- The % distribution of responses is shown for the school, SSSG and state.
- Distractor analysis is included where this has been provided by the data owner.
Page 2 – School Item Analysis
Item Analysis – School Compared to SSSG and State
- This clustered column chart shows the % correct for each question for the school, SSSG and state.
- The x-axis displays the question number.
- The y-axis displays the % of students who answered the question correctly.
Use the slicers provided to filter and further analyse the data:
- Executive Director Group
- Question Band
- Calendar Year
- Domain – Reading, Numeracy, Spelling, Grammar & Punctuation only.
How can I use the School Item Analysis Non-Writing report to support my school self-assessment?
This report can support schools to understand the effectiveness of teaching strategies at the School level. It will assist schools with the Assessment and Reporting, Student Performance Measures, Effective Classroom Practice and Data Skills and Use elements of the SEF.
What should I look for?
- Questions where there is a large difference in performance between the school and the SSSG/State. These may point to gaps in the teaching strategy for that topic.
- The latest three years of data are provided. This allows teachers to analyse their current students’ responses in the prior NAPLAN assessment.
Where does this data come from?
How frequently is data updated?