Number of Students in Bands over Time
The Number of Students in Bands over Time report enables comparisons of the number of students in NAPLAN student bands over time for available NAPLAN year levels in the school, providing a high level view of comparative performance of students.
Where a school has data sharing agreements with other schools, the report will allow a Principal to visually compare their school with performance of the shared school(s).
Executive Directors and Directors of Public Schools can view all schools in their principal network.
How will these reports benefit me?
The Number of Students in Bands over Time report can be used to show changes in the distribution of NAPLAN student band results over time. This can be very useful to gain an overview of changes in performance as it highlights any changes or differences in results throughout time and amongst the schools being compared.
What does the Number of Students in Bands over Time report provide?
This one page report presents information on:
Number of Students in Band by Assessment and Year
- This bubble chart displays the distribution of NAPLAN scores for each assessment at a school.
- Primary schools will have scores for NAPLAN 3 and 5, high schools will have scores for NAPLAN 7 and 9, and central schools will have scores for all NAPLAN assessments.
- The x-axis displays the NAPLAN assessment – 3, 5, 7 or 9. Note that the axis also shows scholastic years with no assessment, e.g. 2 or 4. This is a report limitation and cannot be changed.
- The y-axis displays the average NAPLAN score at that school in the selected year.
- When you first load the report, the default year is the most current year for which data is available.
- One bubble represents one band, e.g. Band 3.
- The size of the bubble represents the number of students at the school who achieved in that band.
- Hover over each bubble to view the band, actual average score of all students who achieved in that band, and number of students who achieved in that band.
Use the slicers to filter and analyse the data:
- Executive Director Group
- School - multi-select is allowed on this report. This will allow directors to combine results for multiple small schools.
- Enrolment Type Group
- Enrolment Type
- Calendar Year – you can either select a single year or press the “Play” button to view an animation stepping through each year.
How can I use the Number of Students in Bands over Time report to support my school self assessment?
Using the play button schools can see the changes within their school in terms of the number of students in each band and the average score for the students within each band.
Schools should aim for an increase in the higher bands and decrease in the lower bands over time. An increase in the average (mean) score for bands indicates growing strength in these bands and may be a precursor of future improvements in the number of students in higher bands.
What should I look for?
- The play button (bottom left hand side of chart) can be used to show changes in the distribution of results over time. Note that you can manually move this to each year if desired.
- Movement of students between the bands- assist in developing enriching learning activities
Where does this data come from?
How frequently is data updated?