The Equity Groups report provides a view of a school’s average NAPLAN scores over time for two equity measures: Aboriginality and SES (applicable for Government schools only).
Executive Directors and Directors of Public Schools can view all schools within their Network..
How will this report benefit me?
Page 1: Average NAPLAN Scores by Aboriginality over Time provides information on the performance and average NAPLAN scores of Aboriginal, Non Aboriginal and Unknown students in a school.
Page 2: (Government schools only) Average NAPLAN Scores by SES Quarter over Time can be used to compare the NAPLAN performance of different SES groups within the school. Students with different SES advantage may require different levels of support to succeed. A comparison of average scaled scores of SES cohorts can inform practice to assist these groupings.
Assessing changes over time allows the evaluation of the success of programs to assist students in each equity group, and the evolving needs of the student based on their demographic background.
What does the Equity Groups report provide?
This two page report presents information on:
Page 1: Aboriginality
Average NAPLAN Score – Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Students
This line chart compares the performance in NAPLAN assessments of students by aboriginality. There is one line per group: Aboriginal and not Aboriginal, as well as a line marked as "Not Available" which includes students who did not provide this information in their enrolment form.
Number of students in Current Year (CY)
This tile displays the number of students who sat the most recent NAPLAN assessment at the school or network. For example if you select NAPLAN 5 it will display the number of students at the school who sat the most recent NAPLAN 5 assessment. As this data is refreshed in August each year, the "current" NAPLAN assessment may be the previous year's assessment if you view this report prior to August.
If you leave this filter unchecked, it will select all students eligible to sit the NAPLAN. For example in a primary school this would include all students in years 3 and 5.
Number of Aboriginal Students in Current Year (CY)
- This tile displays the same information as the above tile, but for Aboriginal students only.
- If this tile says “(blank)” this means there were no students identifying as Aboriginal at the school in the most current NAPLAN assessment.
Page 2: SES (Government School only)
Average NAPLAN Score by SES Quarter
- This line chart displays the average NAPLAN score for students at the school by SES. Each line represents the group of students in each quarter. Q1 is the lowest SES and Q4 the highest.
Number of Students in Quarter
- The five information tiles display the number of students in each quarter at the school, who participated in the selected NAPLAN assessment in the most recent year.
- Note that the last tile, for students who do not have a SES recorded, is not selected by default. You can view this number by checking the “Blank” option in the Student SES Quarter slicer.
- You can filter by NAPLAN assessment, for example if you check the NAPLAN 7 box, this will filter to students in year 7 only.
Use the slicers to filter the information and perform additional analysis:
- Executive Director Group
- School - multi-select is allowed on this report. This will allow directors to combine results for multiple small schools.
- Enrolment Type Group
- Enrolment Type
- Aboriginal - The term Aboriginal used in this data set includes both Aboriginal peoples and Torres Strait Islander peoples. In NSW the preferred term is Aboriginal, rather than Indigenous or Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
- Student SES Quarter (available in Page 2 only).
How can I use the Equity Groups report to support my school self assessment?
You can analyse the performance of different student groups within your school to determine whether marked differences exist based on Aboriginality or SES over time. If differences do exist then planning programs and strategies to assist student groups can be implemented and tracked over time to see whether they were successful at achieving the desired outcomes.
What should I look for?
- Movement of students' average NAPLAN score assist in developing enriching learning activities for students in one or more equity groups.
- The chart in each page provides average NAPLAN scores at the selected school by either Aboriginality or SES. This chart can be used to show changes in the distribution of results over time.
Where does this data come from?
How frequently is data updated?