School Results - Percentage of Students in Bands over Time
The Percentage of Students in Bands over Time report provides a high-level view of a school’s cohort percentage in each NAPLAN band across selected years, the selected assessment and domain.
Executive Directors and Directors, Educational Leadership can view all schools within their Principal Network.
How will this report benefit me?
The Percentage of Students in Bands over Time report can be used to illustrate the performance of your school’s cohort percentage in each NAPLAN band over time. This can be very useful to gain an overview of performance as it highlights any changes or differences in results throughout time.
What does the Percentage of Students in Bands over Time report provide?
The report provides information on:
Percentage of Students in Bands by Calendar Year
- This clustered column chart displays the percentage of students in each NAPLAN band.
- The calendar year is on the x-axis to enable year-by-year comparisons.
- The percentage in each band is on the y-axis.
- Each band is colour coded to enable meaningful comparisons between band percentages.
Number of Students by School and Year
- This table displays the number of students who participated in the selected NAPLAN assessment and domain.
- There is one column per year.
- Only students who were counted as ’present’ are included.
Number of Students by Calendar Year
- This table displays the number of students who participated in the selected assessment year.
Use the slicers to filter and further analyse the data:
Step 1: Select a group of students
- Which school were they in? Multi-select is allowed on this report. This will allow Directors to combine results for multiple small schools.
- Which assessment?
- Which domain?
Step 2: Optionally, select a subset of students
- An enrolment type group?
- A specific enrolment type?
- Aboriginality - The term Aboriginal used in this data set refers to and includes both Aboriginal peoples and Torres Strait Islander peoples. In NSW, the preferred term is Aboriginal, rather than Indigenous or Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
How can I use the Percentage of Students in Bands over Time report to support my school self-assessment?
- This report allows assessment of whether there is movement in the percentage or students in each band. Ideally a school would see a decrease in the percentage of students in lower bands and an increase in the percentage of students in higher bands over time.
- Programs implemented in the school can be tracked over time by witnessing if the post-intervention cohorts are demonstrating improvements in the target area as compared to pre-intervention cohorts.
What should I look for?
- The report shows the trend for the past five years grouped by bands. This chart can be used to show changes in the distribution of results over time. For example, if a school is tracking the percentage of students in the top 2 bands, this chart shows whether the trend over the past five years has been upwards, downwards or steady.
- Tracking the movement of students between the bands can assist with developing enriching learning activities.
Where does this data come from?
How frequently is data updated?