HSC Results by NAPLAN 9 Band Category
The HSC Results by NAPLAN 9 Band Category report shows what HSC courses students selected, grouped by NAPLAN 9 band category.
Executive Directors and Directors of public schools can see all schools in their principal network.
How will this report benefit me?
The HSC Course Selection by NAPLAN 9 Band Category Report allows a school to compare a cohort’s performance in NAPLAN 9 with the same cohort’s subsequent performance in the HSC.
What does the HSC Results by NAPLAN 9 Band Category report provide?
This one page report presents information on:
HSC Scaled Course Mark by NAPLAN 9 Band Category
- This box-and-whisker plot shows the distribution of HSC results within a course, by NAPLAN 9 band category.
- There are 3 boxplots, one for each NAPLAN 9 band category – Bottom 2, Middle 2 and Top 2. The NAPLAN band categories are for the same cohort of students.
- The HSC Year slicer shows the year the students completed the HSC. E.g. if 2017 is selected, the students completed the HSC in 2017. They are grouped into the NAPLAN 9 categories they achieved in for NAPLAN 9, i.e. their 2014 NAPLAN results.
- Use the NAPLAN 9 Domain slicer to select a different domain. This may be more meaningful when comparing NAPLAN to HSC performance, for example select NAPLAN 9 Numeracy to compare to Mathematics or Science HSC courses. Do not select multiple NAPLAN 9 domains as the student numbers will be doubled.
- It is recommended to only select one HSC course at a time as different courses are scaled differently.
- Hover over the chart to view the distribution of results in the cohort, including the minimum, quartile 1, average, median, quartile 3 and maximum scores.
- Hover over the chart to view the number of students who completed the selected course. This is shown on the hover box as “# of Samples.”
Use the slicers to select a student group and analyse the data:
- Executive Director Group
- School - multi-select is allowed on this report. This will allow directors to combine results for multiple small schools.
- HSC Key Learning Area
- HSC Course
- HSC Year – multi-select is allowed in this slicer (hold the Ctrl key while selecting years), so schools with small numbers of students can combine multiple cohorts for more meaningful analysis.
- NAPLAN 9 Domain – select one domain at a time.
- Enrolment Type Group
- Enrolment Type
- Aboriginal - The term Aboriginal used in this data set refers to and includes both Aboriginal peoples and Torres Strait Islander peoples. In NSW the preferred term is Aboriginal, rather than Indigenous or Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
How can I use the HSC Results by NAPLAN 9 Band Category report to support my school self-assessment?
Analyse the difference in results for students in the bottom 2, middle 2 and top 2 bands. When combined with the HSC Course Selection by NAPLAN 9 Band Category, this report can provide evidence of strategies implemented at the school to increase student participation, and to improve results in more challenging HSC courses.
This report will support SEF elements, Student Performance Measures and Curriculum.
What should I look for?
- Is there a difference in student performance at the HSC level, based on their NAPLAN 9 results?
Where does this data come from?
How frequently is data updated?
Annually after HSC results are released in late January.