Student Results Summary
The Student Results Summary report provides individual student results for a selected student who had participated in the Best Start Year 7 assessment, including item level information.
Questions not attempted by students will not be included in percentages or displayed in the charts of this report.
The report presents a percentage of items correct by stage column chart, percentage of items correct by learning area column chart, summary data and a table displaying skill description, learning progression, syllabus outcome and whether or not the student selected a correct response for Best Start Year 7 assessment items.
Schools can use this report to identify specific literacy and numeracy skills that individual students showed strengths in or had greatest difficulty with and for which they may be in need of additional support.
What does the Student Results summary report provide?
This report presents information on:
The far right of the report shows
- the date the assessment was undertaken
- the student?s score
- the maximum possible score for the assessment
- the average percentage correct of questions attempted by this student
- the time taken for the student to complete the test
Student's % Correct by Stage
- The left-hand column chart shows the percentage of questions a student answered correctly for items assessing skills at each of stages 2, 3 and 4 of the syllabus.
- Each column reflects the percentage of questions related to that stage which the student answered correctly out of the number of questions related to that stage that the student attempted.
- Hovering over a column will display the number of correct and incorrect items as well as the total number of questions the student attempted by each stage.
- Clicking on a bar of the chart will highlight that bar and highlight the items assessing skills at that stage level of the syllabus in the other charts, summary data and table.
Student's % Correct by Area of Learning
- The right-hand column chart shows percentage of questions answered correctly for each area of learning out of the total number of questions the student attempted for that area of learning. (The areas of learning are learning progression elements for numeracy and sub-headings for the understanding texts sub-element for reading).
- Hovering over the bar of the chart will show the percentage of items correct for that area of learning.
- Clicking on a bar of the chart will highlight that bar and highlight the items assessing that area of learning in the other chart, summary data and table.
- The table presents the list of items in the assessment, the selected student?s response (correct or incorrect), skill description, learning progression level, progression indicator description and syllabus outcome for each assessment item.
- Information in the table can be sorted by clicking on the headings once for ascending order and a second time for descending order.
- As with most charts and tables in Scout, data in the table can be expanded by hovering over the outcome heading and clicking on the ?Focus Mode? icon.
- As with most charts and tables in Scout, data in the table can be exported to Excel by hovering over the outcome heading and clicking on the ellipsis and selecting ?Export data?.
Use the slicers to filter and analyse the data (slicers show this data for selected student)
- Executive Director Group (for EDs)
- Network Name/Diocese (for Directors)
- School Name (schools will only see their individual school)
- Assessment Type
How can I use the Students Results Summary report to support my school self-assessment?
The Student Results Summary report will assist the school in identifying the areas of greatest need for the student so that teaching and learning can be targeted at these areas. The use of this report will support School Excellence Framework elements 'Student performance measures' and 'Data skills and use'.
What should I look for?
The purpose of Best Start Year 7 is to identify students? current strengths and areas of need. The Student Results by Item report allows schools to identify areas of greatest strength and for improvement for individual students.
Where does this data come from?
Best Start Year 7
How frequently is data updated?
Daily during the assessment window from Term 1 week 2 to week 6. As Year 7 students participate in the assessment, their results will be included in Scout reports (this may take up to two business days).