Cohort Results by Item
The Cohort Results by Item report shows the item and area of learning level performance of students in the school who participated in Best Start Year 7 for a given year and assessment type.
The report provides aggregated results of all students in the cohort who had participated in Best Start Year 7. Schools can use this report to identify how students performed on specific skills, within skill areas of the National Literacy and Numeracy Learning Progressions, and within stages of the English and mathematics syllabuses. This will assist schools to identify target areas for learning and levels of additional support required across the cohort.
What does the Cohort Results by Item report provide?
This report presents information on:
- The far right of the report shows
- the number of students in the cohort who undertook the test
- the average time taken for students in cohort to complete the test (in minutes)
Cohort % correct by Area Learning
- The upper column chart displays the percentage of items students in the cohort scored correct for each area of learning for the assessment (the areas of learning are the numeracy learning progression sub-elements for numeracy and the sub-headings for the Understanding Texts element of the literacy learning progression for reading).
- Clicking on a column will highlight it and represent only this information in the other chart and table. Clicking it again or clicking a white space will remove the selection.
Cohort % correct by item
- The lower column chart displays the percentage of students in the cohort correct (teal) and incorrect (yellow) for each item in the assessment.
- Data can be drilled down from item level to syllabus outcome level by hovering above the word ‘cohort’ and then clicking on the double down arrows that appear. Data can be returned to the item level by clicking on the up arrow to drill up.
- Clicking on a column will highlight it and represent only this information in the other chart and tables. Clicking it again or clicking a white space will remove the selection.
- The table presents for each item
- Skill description from the NSW syllabus
- Percentage correct for the cohort
- Learning progression level
- Learning progression indicator descriptor
- NSW Syllabus outcome identifier
- Data in the table can be sorted by clicking on any of the column headers once for ascending order and a second time for descending.
- Clicking on an item will highlight it and only that item will be represented in the other charts.
Note: any chart or table can be viewed in focus mode by clicking the icon that appears in the top right over a section when hovering there
- Use the slicers to filter and analyse the data:
- Executive Director Group (for EDs)
- Network Name/Diocese (for Directors)
- School Name (schools will only see their individual school)
- Assessment Type
How can I use the Cohort Results by Item report to support my school self-assessment?
The Cohort Results by Item will assist schools to confirm the numeracy and reading strengths and weaknesses across Year 7 students on entry to school. Use of this report will support reporting against School Excellence Framework elements: Student performance measures and Data skills and use.
What should I look for?
The purpose of Best Start Year 7 is to identify students’ current areas of need. The Cohort Results by Item report allows schools to get a high level overview of the performance of students who participated in Best Start Year 7 including areas of greatest strength and areas for improvement for the cohort.
Where does this data come from?
Best Start Year 7 assessment
How frequently is data updated?
Daily during the assessment window from Term 1 Week 2 to Week 6. As Year 7 students participate in the assessment, their results will be included in Scout reports. This may take up to two business days.