About this report
Data Sources: Best Start Kindergarten Assessment PLAN2 and ALAN
Updated: Annually (daily during the first six weeks of each school year)
Report(s) within the Best Start Kindergarten App are viewable by teachers, principals and school leaders, Directors, Educational Leadership and Executive Directors. The information displayed in the report(s) will be specific to each respective user, i.e. school based staff will only view results for their own school.
How can I use this report?
The Cohort Summary report provides a visual overview of the distribution of student results from a selected roll class or cohort in the Best Start Kindergarten Assessment.
What should I look for?
The proportions of colour in each column represent students who demonstrated the required skill and may indicate potential areas of strength or growth across a class or cohort. The table allows for reference to the assessment item and a description of the student response with regard to the assessed skill (Not Observed, Partially Observed, Observed or Not Attempted).
Using the report
Select results with slicers
The slicers allow selections to be made in order for the desired information to be displayed in the chart and tables.
Step 1 is necessary for the report to generate meaningful results. Select the school, roll class, year of assessment and assessment type (Literacy or Numeracy).
Step 2 is optional and allows the selection of a subset of students based on gender, language background or Aboriginality.
Note: for all of the slicers, a blank selection will work the same way as selecting all of the options for that slicer. For example, not selecting an individual student will display results for all students in the roll class or school.
View the chart
The stacked bar chart has the following features:
- Each assessment item along the x-axis
- The percentage of students from the selected class or cohort achieving each assessed level along the y-axis
- Colours to represent each assessed level:
- Not Observed, Partially Observed, Observed and Not Attempted
- A colour code across the top of the chart
Hover for details
Hovering over any segment of a column will bring up a box of summary information including the:
- Item (question) number
- Assessed Level
- Number and percentage of students at the same assessed level across the selected class or cohort
- Question text and prompt text
Highlight specific information
The chart is interactive to allow users to focus on information of interest:
- Clicking a segment will highlight it and dim all other segments. This will also alter the content of the table below to reflect only the highlighted selection.
- Clicking an item will highlight that item and dim all other items. This will also alter the content of the table below to reflect only the highlighted selection.
- Multiple highlights can be selected by holding control (ctrl) while clicking.
Note: Clicking on a specific assessed level displays the students whose outcomes are at that level. Clicking on a specific assessed level within an item displays the students whose outcome for that item is at that level.
View the table
The table below the chart will display information as selected in the slicers. They will also reflect any segments highlighted in the chart (see ?Highlight specific information?).
Item Details Table
The table provides details of each item for the selected student with the following columns:
- Item (or question) number
- Question Text (the question or prompt from the assessment)
- Assessment Levels
- a label of the assessment levels (Not Observed, Partially Observed, Observed)
- a description under each level (where relevant) for each item, in order of increasing achievement from left to right
- Students (a list of students who achieved a particular level for each item)
Note: This table shows outcomes of all the students in the selected cohort. To view an individual student outcomes, you may click on a specific student.