Class sizes in NSW government primary schools 2017
This bulletin was originally published 12 April 2018.
CESE’s Class sizes in NSW Government primary schools, 2017 bulletin summarises class size data by:
- average class size
- school location
- school size
- scholastic year
- multi-age or composite classes
- distribution of Kindergarten to Year 2
- enrolment numbers.
In 2017, the average Kindergarten to Year 6 class size has remained steady at 24.1 students. This is the third consecutive year that the average class size has continued unchanged, and has only changed by 0.1 since 2011. The average Kindergarten to Year 2 class size has also stayed the same as in 2016 at 21.0 students, and has remained relatively unchanged since 2007.
There are 19,781 primary classes in NSW government schools in 2017, up by 398 classes since 2016. This increase was needed to accommodate rising student enrolments.
For more information
- To access data, visit the NSW Education Data Hub.
- To read our other statistical publications.
- The Centre for Education Statistics and Evaluation is committed to making online content accessible to the widest possible audience. If you require an accessible version of a PDF published prior to 2018 please contact us.