Publicly available data
The department is committed to providing public access to quality information and data. This page provides useful links on where you can access both department and non-department data.
The NSW Education Data Hub
Managed by the Centre for Education Statistics and Evaluation (CESE), the NSW Education Data HubExternal link is an open data portal that provides the public, media, policy makers and researchers with information on key education data.
The data hub includes a range of datasets relating to early childhood education, schools and higher education. There are nearly 300 datasets resources and publications currently available, with new data continuously added.
Useful datasets on the data hub
- The master dataset lists all NSW public schools with key information such as enrolments, location and contact details.
- List of preschools and early intervention classes
- Specialist support classes by school and support needs type
- Multi-age or composite classes in NSW government schools
- Average government primary school class sizes by school size
- Average government primary school class sizes by year
- Attendance data at the school level
Where else can I access data?
NSW public school data
- Publications from the Centre for Education Statistics and Evaluation
- NSW Department of Education Annual Report
- School infrastructure website – for data on school infrastructure projects.
- The NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) holds attainment data on all NSW schools, government and non-government. The NESA statistics archive has datasets relating to HSC, HSC preliminary, Stage 5 and School Certificate (2011 and earlier).
- History of NSW government schools for historical information.
- List of all Australian schools
- NAPLAN data is maintained by the Australian Curriculum Assessment and Reporting Authority (ACARA). For individual school NAPLAN data, refer to MySchool. For national NAPLAN results and reports, refer to the ACARA website.
- The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) publishes publications covering national education statistics (with breakdowns by state), across all levels of education.
- ACARA provides various datasets through the Data Access program and data portal.
- The Productivity Commission produces an annual report on government services, including education.
Higher education data is predominantly collected and owned by the federal government - Department of Education and Training (DET) and the Australian Bureau of Statistics. DET provides selected Higher Education statistics published annually.
- The National Centre of Vocational Education Research collects data on Vocational Education and Training.
- The Australian Children's Education & Care Quality Authority holds the national register of approved child care education services.
- The Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL) publishes the Initial Teacher Education data report.