Guide to Accommodation

Having suitable accommodation for the rural experience placement teacher is critical to success of the Rural Experience Program.


During the placement application process, principals must identify a range of possible accommodation options for the duration of the placement. While principals will not be able to guarantee accommodation it is important they convey a practical understanding of the potential options to applicants.

As teachers may want to move with their families, it is important to identify numbers that can be accommodated, for example: 1 bedroom furnished flat, 3 bedroom house, a room in a shared house or self-contained accommodation for 1 or 2.

Suitable accommodation may include:

  • Share accommodation with a teacher or community member
  • Teacher Housing, once potential availability has been confirmed
  • Local caravan park with self-contained accommodation
  • Granny flat style accommodation
  • Private rental, via local estate agent or Airbnb, once potential availability has been confirmed.


Teachers participating in the Rural Experience Program are ultimately responsible for arranging their own accommodation.

Prior to applying, it is suggested that teachers review the accommodation options provided by the principal of the rural experience school to determine if they may be suitable and also identify potential accommodation options themselves.

Incentives and subsidies

In addition to their substantive salary, teachers participating in rural experience placements will receive a program allowance consisting of $500 at placement commencement and $500 per week during the placement period. The allowance of $500 per week is only payable during teaching weeks and excludes school holidays unless the placement is for two or more consecutive terms within a school year and will cover the school holiday period within the placement period. The allowance is subject to tax.

Teachers will not be eligible for any further incentives or benefits attached to the school during the duration of the placement. Teachers will not be eligible for the Department of Education teaching housing rental subsidy.

Return to top of page Back to top