Walgett Community College Primary School
General program enquiries (including application status updates) should be directed to the Rural Experience Program team: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 02 7814 3820
Eligibility criteria for this placement:
- Permanent employees who hold a substantive position as a teacher and meet the eligibility requirements in the Rural Experience Guidelines may apply for this placement.
- Non-permanent employees (those on a temporary engagement / contract and casual employees) who meet the eligibility requirements in the Rural Experience Guidelines may apply for this placement.
Walgett Community College Primary School, Walgett NSW
Placement level: Teacher
Contact for enquiries: Alison Finlayson (Principal), email@example.com, 02 6828 1077 or 0411 246 891
Additional resources: explore what it's like to live and work in the Lightning Ridge and Walgett areas.
Terms 1 - 4, 2023 (Applicants can request a shorter duration in their application).
Desired candidate expertise:
- Approval to teach primary (K-6) with demonstrated ability to deliver high quality differentiated literacy and numeracy programs.
- Understanding of and sensitivity to the needs of students from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander backgrounds and embedding practices inclusive of culture, histories and identities.
- Outstanding communication, interpersonal and organisational skills with the capacity to work collaboratively and build positive relationships with students, staff and parents to enhance student wellbeing.
- Demonstrated capacity and willingness to enhance whole school programs or extra-curricular activities.
Teacher Housing may be available.
Please note: Teacher Housing availability can depend upon a variety of factors, including vacancy status and potential priority offers to other staff with full time rural appointments. Teacher Housing Authority (THA) may not be able to confirm allocation of properties until all applications have been received and processed. Applicants are encouraged to discuss property availability directly with THA. Participants of the Rural Experience Program are not eligible for the Housing Rental Subsidy but may rent a property (at market value) through the THA if available.
Walgett Community College - Primary (P-6) is located 290 kilometres north-west of Dubbo in a remote, rural location near the junctions of the Barwon and Namoi Rivers on Gamilaroi Country with a student population of 125 with 98% identifying as Aboriginal or Torres Strait islander.
Our school offers academic and cultural programs that value students' identity and culture while focusing on improved student wellbeing and heightened expectations for teacher and student success.
As a Connected Communities school, we are part of a supportive network that builds strong partnerships with Aboriginal leaders, our school community, parents and external agencies to provide a holistic approach to education for our students.
How to apply for this placement
- Refer to the Guide to Applying as you prepare your application
- Complete the online application form and answer the placement questions:
- What motivated you to apply for the program in general and specifically this placement? (max 600 words)
- What skills and experiences can you bring to the Rural Experience School? Why would you be a good fit for this placement (max 600 words)
- Attach the required documentation to your application:
- Endorsement of Application form (saved as a PDF)
- Resume / CV (maximum 2 pages as a PDF)