Pilliga Public School
General program enquiries (including application status updates) should be directed to the Rural Experience Program team: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 02 7814 3820
Eligibility criteria for this placement:
- Permanent employees who hold a substantive position as a Teacher or Assistant Principal and meet the eligibility requirements in the Rural Experience Guidelines may apply for this placement.
- Non-permanent employees (those on a temporary engagement / contract and casual employees) who meet the eligibility requirements in the Rural Experience Guidelines may apply for this placement at teacher level.
Terms 1 - 4, 2023 (Applicants can request a shorter duration in their application).
The placement will be tailored to teacher or assistant principal level depending on the successful applicant/s.
This placement will predominantly be as a classroom teacher. A strong Literacy and Numeracy focus will be central to this teaching role with a strong emphasis on monitoring and assessing student progress. Multi-stage classes are the norm at Pilliga and as such the successful applicant would be teaching a range of stages. Explicit teaching underpins all teaching and learning at Pilliga.
A teacher applying for this role should be enthusiastic, passionate with a positive outlook, have a sense of fun and a great sense of humour. They will want to engage personally with our students, have high expectations, be able to effectively build on our students’ aspirations and focus on improving student learning.
Participation in extra-curricular activities based on interest would be welcomed.
Desired candidate expertise:
- Approval to teach K-6
- Highly developed interpersonal skills with the capacity to work collaboratively in a team and build positive relationships with all members of the school community.
- Demonstrated success in developing and delivering high quality, differentiated teaching and learning programs with an emphasis on student engagement.
- Knowledge of and the ability to implement the Department's Aboriginal education policy to enhance quality outcomes for all Aboriginal students.
- Commitment to student wellbeing.
There will be a brand-new second school residence located next to the school in 2023 which may be available. Your commute to your classroom will take approximately one minute.
There are several rentals in Wee Waa which is 60km away on an asphalt road.
Please note: Teacher Housing availability can depend upon a variety of factors, including vacancy status and potential priority offers to other staff with full time rural appointments. Teacher Housing Authority (THA) may not be able to confirm allocation of properties until all applications have been received and processed. Applicants are encouraged to discuss property availability directly with THA. Participants of the Rural Experience Program are not eligible for the Housing Rental Subsidy but may rent a property (at market value) through the THA if available.
Pilliga Public school is situated 100 km west of Narrabri, which offers most services, including airport, swimming centre, gyms, many sporting organisations, Crossing Theatre, Coles and Woolworths, and monthly markets. There are currently 17 students in the main school and 4 in our playgroup, with 74% of our students identifying as Aboriginal.
The school has highly experienced and dedicated staff who are committed to quality learning outcomes for all students. We are staffed by a full time Teaching Principal with a second teacher for 4 days per week. We have two experienced full time SLSOs, supporting both classes and individual targeted students. Personalised learning has a high priority with each student having a PLP which is developed in collaboration with the student, parents and teachers.
All our students portray an enthusiastic approach to learning and enjoy learning from those from different environments, which supports their aspirations in secondary school. There are very few behaviour issues affecting the learning of others enabling stress free teaching in all lessons.
The school is well resourced with each student having both an iPad and a laptop computer, with flexible learning spaces used throughout the school utilising Interactive Panels in every classroom.
Pilliga Public School staff are friendly and welcoming and have a strong sense of collegiality. We collaborate with other schools for sport, outreach programs, staff development, excursions and share expertise, programming development and general teacher support and wellbeing. It is a stimulating place to work where staff are supported to develop their individual expertise and interests.
How to apply for this placement
- Refer to the Guide to Applying as you prepare your application
- Complete the online application form and answer the placement questions:
- What motivated you to apply for the program in general and specifically this placement? (max 600 words)
- What skills and experiences can you bring to the Rural Experience School? Why would you be a good fit for this placement (max 600 words)
- Attach the required documentation to your application:
- Endorsement of Application form (saved as a PDF)
- Resume / CV (maximum 2 pages as a PDF)