General program enquiries (including application status updates) should be directed to the Rural Experience Program team: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 02 7814 3820
Eligibility criteria for this placement:
- Permanent employees who hold a substantive position as a teacher and meet the eligibility requirements in the Rural Experience Guidelines may apply for this placement.
- Non-permanent employees (those on a temporary engagement / contract and casual employees) who meet the eligibility requirements in the Rural Experience Guidelines may apply for this placement.
Generalist Teacher (K-12)
Oaklands Central School, Oaklands NSW
Placement level: Teacher
Contact for enquiries: Josh Webb (Principal), email@example.com, 02 6035 4290
Additional resources: explore what it's like to live and work in the Wagga Wagga area.
Terms 1 - 4, 2024 (Applicants can request a shorter duration in their application).
Role description: The successful applicant will be involved in delivering subject content across the school and may support other teaching staff in a team-teaching capacity. They may also be responsible for release from face to face. The placement will be flexible and may change depending on the school’s needs.
The anticipated teaching load of the placement will be full time across Primary and Secondary but may be required to take a full-time primary class or teach across various secondary faculties if the school is understaffed.
The successful applicant may be required to collaborate with staff across both the primary and secondary departments.
Additional commitments: The successful teacher will be expected to participate in and support school staff meetings, school excursions and school activities such as the school play, sports carnivals, NAIDOC Day and other events.
Desired candidate expertise:
- Approval / willingness to teach primary and or secondary KLAs.
- Experience in planning, programming, assessing, and reporting for all students in the class.
- Experience as a teacher who has demonstrated ability to successfully teach a multi-stage class.
- The ability to deliver high quality, differentiated teaching and learning programs in literacy and numeracy that are driven by the analysis of assessment data and the literacy progressions.
- Work as part of a school team and show commitment to whole school Positive Behaviour Programs and wellbeing programs.
There is very limited accommodation in Oaklands. There may be the opportunity to use Teacher Housing in town. Teacher Housing may be available in nearby towns.
There are rental properties available in Corowa, Yarrawonga / Mulwala, the nearest large towns (population 5000) which are 65km / 45-minute drive from the school. The average price of rental properties is $300-400 per week.
Shopping is very limited in Oaklands with most groceries not readily available in town. Most people shop in larger centres which are approximately 45 minutes from the town.
Please note: Teacher Housing availability can depend upon a variety of factors, including vacancy status and potential priority offers to other staff with full time rural appointments. Teacher Housing Authority (THA) may not be able to confirm allocation of properties until all applications have been received and processed. Applicants are encouraged to discuss property availability directly with THA. Participants of the Rural Experience Program are not eligible for the Housing Rental Subsidy but may rent a property (at market value) through the THA if available.
Oaklands Central School is located in the Riverina approximately 120km from Albury. It provides an educational setting for 55 students from K to 12. Our students are from the immediate township, outlying farms and other nearby towns.
Oaklands Central School is part of the Riverina Access Partnership which includes 5 other schools across the Riverina and provides access to a broad curriculum for our Stage 6 students. Our Primary section has strong connections with our local primary schools.
The school has excellent facilities which include well-maintained grounds, a comprehensive library and access to high-quality technology devices to support student learning. Every student from K to 12 has access to a school laptop to support their learning.
The school currently has 8 teachers and 6 administration and support staff, which includes additional temporary staff employed through school-based funding to better support the learning needs of all students. The school works in partnership with a variety of stakeholders including Student Representative Council, Parents and Citizens Association [P&C], Federation Council and local businesses.
How to apply for this placement
- Refer to the Guide to Applying as you prepare your application
- Complete the online application form and answer the placement questions:
- What motivated you to apply for the program in general and specifically this placement? (max 600 words)
- What skills and experiences can you bring to the Rural Experience School? Why would you be a good fit for this placement (max 600 words)
- Attach the required documentation to your application:
- Endorsement of Application form (saved as a PDF)
- Resume / CV (maximum 2 pages as a PDF)