Jerilderie Public School
General program enquiries (including application status updates) should be directed to the Rural Experience Program team: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 02 7814 3820
Eligibility criteria for this placement:
- Permanent employees who hold a substantive position as a teacher and meet the eligibility requirements in the Rural Experience Guidelines may apply for this placement.
- Non-permanent employees (those on a temporary engagement / contract and casual employees) who meet the eligibility requirements in the Rural Experience Guidelines may apply for this placement.
Terms 1 - 4, 2024 (Applicants can request a shorter duration in their application).
Role description: The placement will be teaching either one of two multi-stage classes – Early Stage 1 / Stage 1 class of approximately 4 students OR Stage 2 / Stage 3 class of approximately 7 students.
Additional commitments: Participation in extra-curricular activities based on interest is welcomed.
Desired candidate expertise:
- Approval to teach K-6.
- Demonstrated success in developing and delivering high-quality, differentiated teaching and learning programs with an emphasis on student engagement.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills with the capacity to work collaboratively and build positive relationships with all members of the school community.
- Knowledge of and the ability to implement the DoE Aboriginal education policy to enhance quality outcomes for all Aboriginal students.
Accommodation may be available for rent in Jerilderie, including houses and units. If you would prefer to live a short distance away, Finley is only a 20 min drive (35km) one way. Teacher housing may also be available in Finley. Accommodation includes 2-bedroom furnished units or 3 and 4-bedroom unfurnished houses. Private rental options include houses and units.
Please note: Teacher Housing availability can depend upon a variety of factors, including vacancy status and potential priority offers to other staff with full time rural appointments. Teacher Housing Authority (THA) may not be able to confirm allocation of properties until all applications have been received and processed. Applicants are encouraged to discuss property availability directly with THA. Participants of the Rural Experience Program are not eligible for the Housing Rental Subsidy but may rent a property (at market value) through the THA if available.
Jerilderie Public School is a small school located in the Riverina, approximately 160km (2 hours) west of Wagga Wagga. It is one of two primary schools in Jerilderie (population 1,029).
JPS has a current enrolment of 16 students, two multi-age classes, and two full-time teachers.
The school is set on the banks of the Billabong Creek and features beautiful grounds with landscaped gardens, an amphitheatre and a Community Garden housing chickens, veggie boxes and fruit trees. It is well-resourced and offers comprehensive and engaging academic, social and physical programs with a strong emphasis on improving students' literacy, numeracy and IT skills.
Each year students participate in the Sporting Schools program, Robotics and Coding workshops, Bucket Drumming and Ukulele lessons, Premier’s Debating Challenge, Lions Public Speaking Competition and the CWA Country of Study.
The school is proudly supported by an active Parents and Citizens Association who make valuable contributions to the school's extra-curricular activities.
Our school Facebook page showcases daily happenings and student achievements.
How to apply for this placement
- Refer to the Guide to Applying as you prepare your application
- Complete the online application form and answer the placement questions:
- What motivated you to apply for the program in general and specifically this placement? (max 600 words)
- What skills and experiences can you bring to the Rural Experience School? Why would you be a good fit for this placement (max 600 words)
- Attach the required documentation to your application:
- Endorsement of Application form (saved as a PDF)
- Resume / CV (maximum 2 pages as a PDF)