Garah Public School
General program enquiries (including application status updates) should be directed to the Rural Experience Program team: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 02 7814 3820
Eligibility criteria for this placement:
- Permanent employees who hold a substantive position as a teacher and meet the eligibility requirements in the Rural Experience Guidelines may apply for this placement.
- Non-permanent employees (those on a temporary engagement / contract and casual employees) who meet the eligibility requirements in the Rural Experience Guidelines may apply for this placement.
Terms 1 - 4, 2023 (Applicants can request a shorter duration in their application).
Role description: The placement will be tailored dependent on the skillset of the applicant. It could be having their own class, implementing intervention programs, RFF or opportunities to explore and lead whole school programs relating to our school priority areas.
Additional commitments: Participation in extra-curricular activities based on interest is welcomed
Desired candidate expertise:
- Approval to teach K-6
- Highly developed interpersonal skills with the capacity to work collaboratively in a team and build positive relationships with all members of the school community.
- Demonstrated success in developing and delivering high quality, differentiated teaching and learning programs with an emphasis on student engagement.
- Knowledge of and the ability to implement the Department's Aboriginal education policy to enhance quality outcomes for all Aboriginal students.
- Commitment to student wellbeing
Rental accommodation in the local and surrounding communities is available through local real estate agents and local contacts. Teacher Housing is also available within the local community and surrounding communities (subject to availability).
Please note: Teacher Housing availability can depend upon a variety of factors, including vacancy status and potential priority offers to other staff with full time rural appointments. Teacher Housing Authority (THA) may not be able to confirm allocation of properties until all applications have been received and processed. Applicants are encouraged to discuss property availability directly with THA. Participants of the Rural Experience Program are not eligible for the Housing Rental Subsidy but may rent a property (at market value) through the THA if available.
Garah Public School is located in the village of Garah, 50 kms north-west of Moree. We have a current enrolment of 13 students across two classes, K-2 & 3-6. The school enjoys strong support from parents and has a high standing within the local community. Technology is a strong focus within both classrooms, with one-to-one computer access, iPads and new interactive whiteboards allowing full access to all web-based technologies.
Staff work collaboratively in all areas of the school, demonstrating strong support for one another and our families. The school also enjoys strong relationships with surrounding small schools as part of the Barwon Community of Schools.
The community of Garah is predominately made up of cotton and grain farmers, graziers and others who work in associated industries. Located in the heart of artesian spa country, hot springs can be found in the surrounding townships. The village enjoys the services of a shop/takeaway, hotel and post office. The nearest town of Moree has all amenities, including two supermarkets and a well-known artesian swim centre.
How to apply for this placement
- Refer to the Guide to Applying as you prepare your application
- Complete the online application form and answer the placement questions:
- What motivated you to apply for the program in general and specifically this placement? (max 600 words)
- What skills and experiences can you bring to the Rural Experience School? Why would you be a good fit for this placement (max 600 words)
- Attach the required documentation to your application:
- Endorsement of Application form (saved as a PDF)
- Resume / CV (maximum 2 pages as a PDF)